Saturday 17 October 2009

To Be Funny...

I've always wished I was funny. Sure, I ca make my friends laugh, but there's a difference between writing something that will amuse two or three people and something that will amuse two or three hundred.

Then again, being funny would be quite stressful. If you had an expectation to be funny permanently hanging over your head like an oversized metaphorical raincloud, then any time you failed in being funny there would be a general annoyance at you. I guess that's true of anything though - i get good grades, and am always expected to do so. Any time I get a B, I am told to "do better", when there are people who would kill for a B.

But back to being funny. I really admire Michael McIntyre, because he seems like one of those comedians who is really happy in real life as well and not just on stage, unlike most comedians. Why are so many of them miserable in their day to day lives? I think it must be the weight of all that expectation. It's one thing to have a cloud over your head for a day; it's another to have one there even when all you need are some sunshiny compliments.

Plectrum status: i put it down somewhere... dunno where though...

No comments:

Post a Comment