Wednesday 6 January 2010

The Old/Young Powershare

The young are in charge. Or they will be.

I, being born in 1994, am part of the Hoodie Generation. I have grown up knowing how to use email and mobile phones. I can remember the excitement of Pokemon Red and Blue on the Gameboy Color, and the phenomenon of the Gameboy Advance and DS. I know people who shop at Topshop and H&M and River Island; I know people who buy most of their clothes exclusively online or on merch stalls after amazing, sweaty gigs. I've grown up worrying about the environment and the economy; in the midst of the recession, I spend more money than ever but I feel bad about it. I'm already panicking about university tuition fees and wishing I could go back to being five years old, playing with lego.

I am one of the youths. Adults in suits might rule the waking world, but we are in charge online and after dark. And even if we're not now, then in twenty years' time we will be. There's a worrying chance that one of my brother's friends will end up in charge of the Tory party. We are the young, and we understand that the old, the ones in charge, are making a bloody mess of the country. We can't wait to be old enough to sort this country out ourselves.

The thing is, the old are trying to become young. And they're stealing all our hobbies. And by the time we are twenty or thirty, able to make a difference, we probably will have forgotten everything we wanted to change and been brainwashed by the rest of our grey community.

I'm not quite sure of the point of this blog, other to muse on something that I saw on The History Of Now (an awesome programme on the 2000's currently on the BBC iPlayer). An expert, or a magazine editor, or something, who was being interviewed or asked for an opinion on there said something to the effect of "There is a war going on between the old and the young. The old have the power, but not the longevity, and the young don't have the power, but they'll be here tomorrow".

But even if we are in charge tomorrow, what are we going to change? And is the world going to go from just being crap in the hands of old people, with people born in the 90s complaining, to a world in 2030 being crap in the hands of the present-day youth and people born in 2010s and 2020s complaining?

Basically, I think we're all doomed.
And I really bloody hate the Tories.

No comments:

Post a Comment