Sunday 10 January 2010

Jonny "Itch" Fox Is My Favourite Poet

So, sitting here, praying that I will get snowed in tonight, I find myself pondering music and procrastinating furiously.

Right now, my favourite band is probably The King Blues. In all of their songs, there's always at least one line which gets me and makes me smile, or makes me think, or makes me mad at the government.

I guess I can't really explain it, so I'll just post the lyrics to Out Of Luck. Admitted, it's so much better sung, but still. If this song fails to move you, consider transplanting that heart of stone somewhere else.

With a red scrunchie for a birthday gift
She scrapes her hair into a Croydon facelift
Punch drunk love at sweet sixteen
She thumbs a ride to Gretna Green
Leaving something old for somewhere new
To be with someone battered black and blue
She turns out her light with a song to sing
Grabs her shoulder bag and an Argos ring
And she says,

"Without a penny in my pocket
I'm out of luck in this kind of town
But I've got you right by my side
So I won't let them drag me down."

He turned from Jack the lad into Jack the dad
His heart was pure, but the town was bad
He had a broken heart from a broken home
She heard his breaking voice through a broken phone
He said, "For you girl I'd walk a Swedish mile
For a Glasgow kiss and a Chelsea smile,"
So he drove until it was morning light
And the birds will sing him to sleep tonight
And he says,

"Without a penny in my pocket
I'm out of luck in this kind of town
But I've got you, right by my side
So I won't let them drag me down."

3 comments:

  1. Have you got their first album, Under The Fog? There's a couple of songs off that which are just amazing. Itch is amazing guy to meet too. He's really small, but he's got massive presence. I have a ridiculous amount of respect for him and what he stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it on Spotify.
    Yes, I know. They ended the show when I saw them with Taking Over... i think that's what it's called anyway xD Itch is an amazing person, I'd love to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! They always do that one. Go see them in Brixton; they got us all to shout "FUCK THE BNP" :D
    Itch is lovley, bless him. I made a t shirt when I saw them, and they all signed it and said how cool it was and stuff. Give It A Name Fest, nobody else knew who they were xD

    ReplyDelete