Wednesday 18 November 2009

I feel compelled to say...

As much as I complain about my novel...
As much as I whine that it gives me sleepless nights and uses up most of my free time...
As much as I sometimes wish that I had never started it...
As much as I wish that I was one of those people to whom the idea of writing a novel in thirty days is completely insane...
As much as I moan about sore fingers or writers' block...

... my novel has become the only thing that is keeping me sane. I haven't seen most of my friends since October 24th. That's three weeks and four days. I miss them, and I hope they miss me just a little bit too. I haven't had them to talk to (probably a good thing - it's a bad idea to talk to me in November) and somehow my novel has filled up that gap in my life.

NaNoWriMo means a lot to me. It's given me new friends, new perspectives, new ideas. Thanks to NaNoWriMo I have discovered a lovely coffee shop in Welwyn Garden City, a love of lattes and the fact that yes, I can write 5,000 words in one day if I really put my mind to it.

It's a weird journey of self-discovery, and somehow this year has effected me more than my past two has. I'll revisit this in December (cue groaning) but I know that I need to email the guy who started this, Chris Baty, just to let him know that NaNoWriMo really has changed my life for the better. I know it'll be one of a flood of emails he receives every day about the same thing, but I really do need to get in contact with him and say thank you. Even if he only glances at it, I know what it feels like to be genuinely thanked and I really hope that I can give someone else the honour of feeling like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment