Sunday 6 September 2009

Right, this time I'm going to do it...

I really suck at updating my blog. So this is my second attempt to try and keep it going daily (except on days when I am literally too tired to blog).

So what have I been up to in the past few weeks? Well it mainly boils down to this:

- Trying and failing to finish my Latin homework
- Random days out in London
- Planning October relentlessly (including buying tickets to see the amazing Lostprophets)

Yesterday may have been one of the best days of my life, to be honest: it was The Blackout's video shoot for next single, This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (henceforth to be known as TIWWCHNT).

The queue outside which we reached at about 8.30 was kind of cold and foot-killing and not as fun as it could've been. Sam had been there from 8 the previous night, with Kelly there since 5am, and so we queuejumped with them to be at the front. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, really. We saw the van pull up and Snoz came and chatted to us maddos while the rest of the band unpacked in terror. Matthew come said hi to us, and hugged me over the barrier. I also saw a couple of girls from school, and Susie who I'd previously met at a You Me At Six gig. Still, things looked up when we got into the venue. I was about the twelfth person in and was expecting a space on the side of the barrier. Instead, as I saw my friends charging off to either side, I saw a gap right in the middle of the barrier. What did I do? Ran for it, squeezed in, and ended up exactly front row centre next to Sam (who is absolutely lovely with awesome tattoos).

Here's a basic rundown of the highlights from the shoot:

- Lots of random bands and cardboard cutouts of Noel and Liam Gallagher hanging out on Islington Academy balcony, and The Blackout constantly "talking to" the cardboard cutouts and asking if they had heroin.
- The Blackout and Josh Francesci coming on and getting the crowd to sing and dance along to TIWWCHNT about 20+ times
- The Blackout constantly making fun of Josh, insisting he was loaded, etc. This eventually led to Sean insisting that the band name had been changed to You Me At Rich, and on the next tour there would be a cannon on stage firing out £1 coins into the crowd.
- Technical difficulties leading to one playback of TIWWCHNT not working, and Sean stating it was the "most embarrassing moment of his life". So what did we do? Awkward turtle.
- During a lull when Sean had run out of wit, I asked him how he was. He sat down on the side of the stage and proceeded to have a normal conversation with me.
- One of the takes ended abruptly when Josh swung round his microphone and hit Sean in the eye with it. Seeing Sean crying is actually heart-rending.
- TIWWCHNT being played at "double speed". Read: Alvin-the-chipmunk speed. Sean had to cling onto the drums to stop himself collapsing with laughter. Snoz was cackling like a loon, Rhys and Matthew looked like they were about to dissolve into fit of giggles, and Bob threw down his guitar in fury - which Josh then picked up and pretended to play... at double speed. Gavin was creased over, and - then - the whole crowd attempted to start singing along at chipmunk speed.
- Numerous homoerotic instances between Josh and Sean., including: Josh grabbing Sean's arse; Sean claiming that Josh was his bitch; Josh and Sean towelling each other off; and Josh kissing Sean's eye better after he hit it.
- The security guards handing out tiny cups of water. I was still thirsty, and asked Josh if he could spare any of his water. He threw his bottle to me, I had a drink, and I threw it back. So, I have shared a bottle of water with Josh Francesci. To all those teenage girls with a crush on him, I WIN.
- The Blackout joking that their set would be entirely comprised of covers, and so they launched into an a capella version of Pretty Fly For A White Guy, to which the whole crowd sang along. They tried the same with CKY and failed dismally.
- During the last take, there was a stage invasion of assembled band members (Young Guns, We Are The Ocean, and the frontman of Kids In Glass Houses).

Once the shoot was over, The Blackout played five songs as thank you for listening to the same song on repeat for two hours: Silent (When We Speak), STFUppercut, Children Of The Night, Save Ourselves, and the finale of It's High Tide, Baby! with guest vocals by KIGH's Aled Phillips.

After we all piled out of the venue we had to wait around for a while. Young Guns and Aled were hanging around (not for long though), so I chatted to them and got 3 of Young Guns and Aled in my infamous kitty hat.

The Blackout came out not soon afterwards. Ashleigh got them all to sign my birthday card (apparently Matthew remembers me for my hat) and I had hugs and a chat with them all. I ended up helping load up the van (I held open the doors, and put in a riser which Matthew was struggling with). Gav and Sean were still busy talking to fangirls, and the rest were all being their own roadies. While talking to Bob afterwards, he dropped a plectrum:

Me: Can I have that plectrum?
Bob: No, I only have about three. I need to keep that.
Me: Oh, okay. It was worth asking.
Bob: *gets out his wallet* Hang on a minute...
Me: ...?
Bob: *pulls out a plectrum* You can have this. It's Lostprophets' plectrum.
Me: Really?
Bob: Yeah, from when they played Ozzfest in 2002.

So that has been basically my best birthday present ever. Lostprophets' plectrum. From 2002. From Australia. From Bob. Say it with me now: tidy!

All of The Blackout (flatteringly) remembered me and, of course, my hat. Rhys let me pick him up, as did Bob and Gav (who both looked surprised I had managed it). Matthew and Sean were wimps and wouldn't let me try, and I doubt I could have even had tried to pick up Snoz without breaking my back.

Eventually, my very hungry friends dragged me off to The Diner in Camden. Lovely food with lovely people, and the best birthday celebration I have ever had.

So today was rather a letdown in terms of presents and the whole last-day-of-the-summer gloom. Being 15 really doesn't feel very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment