Thursday 24 September 2009

Is this teenage society today?

Today my friend invited me to her friend's party. The conversation went something like this:

Friend: Hey, come to Emily's party!
Me: Fuck off. I hate Emily.
Friend: No! You have to come!
Me: What is the party?
Friend: It's in a park... everyone's gonna get drunk!
Me: Why would I want to get drunk with a load of 13-year-olds?
Friend: Well they'll mianly be more 16/17...
Me: Why would I want to get drunk anyway?
Friend: You don't get drunk?
Me: Fuck no. I'm 15. Wait, do you get drunk?
Friend: ...
Me: If you start smoking I'm disowning you.
Friend: I don't smoke!... cigarettes...

I don't know how this would make you feel, but to be honets it disturbed me. Said friend is 13, and the fact she freely admits she goes out and gets drunk in public worried me. Even more worrying was the fact that her friend planned on making an exhibition out of this for her 14th birthday.

I drink a little in the house with food. But I would never in a million years go out just to get drunk. It seems pointless. What happens? You waste money, you destroy your liver, you do stupid things, and the next day you're reminded of all that shit with a hangover.

Does thinking this make me weird, a killjoy, a wet blanket? Think that if you like, but as it is I'd much prefer to spend my Saturdays at gigs, NOT getting drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment